Over the last eight years AUT’s campuses have undergone significant development that has improved student and staff experiences at AUT. A $250 million budget over this period saw construction and refurbishments happening across the City, South and North Campuses.
AUT City Campus
Nga Wai Hono – The Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences building (WZ)
The new building is home to AUT’s School of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences.
The building is designed to reflect the evolution of teaching and learning in tertiary education. Learning is no longer restricted to classrooms – it’s just as likely to happen in a virtual space as a physical one. Students want more collaborative experiences and this new building acknowledges this.
The state-of-the art building acts as a ‘living laboratory’ and a medium of study. Theoretical lessons are brought to life by showing students the features of the building that showcase how theory from the classroom has been applied to the building design.
Services in ceilings are left exposed, plant rooms have glazed walls so students can see the inner workings of the building, and students and staff can use the Building Management System (BMS) to test and collect data. Areas with dual heating and ventilation systems have been installed so students can compare the two different systems. There are also structure testing labs and a seismic shake table that will help with AUT’s world-class research in these areas.
- Cost: $120 million
- Size of new building: 18,000 m²
- Sustainability measures included in design of building: glazed plant rooms displaying the different mechanical systems, high performance external facades and sun shading to limit energy consumption and improve natural light distribution, low energy-use light fittings
WQ Building: new student accommodation
A new 700-bed student residence is currently being developed on Mayoral Drive at the AUT City Campus.
In addition to student accommodation it will also include recreational facilities and staff office space. We expect it to be completed in 2021.
AUT South Campus
Current campus updates
The new MH building at the AUT South Campus provides additional large and small lecture spaces, collaborative social learning areas for students, computer labs, function and conference space, research and postgraduate areas.
- Cost: $56 million
- Size of new building: 11,000 m²
- Sustainability measures include: future provision for on-site stormwater processing management and treatment, on-site waste water system with botanical wetland, facade and building services solutions to reduce energy consumption
AUT North Campus
Current campus updates
- Earthworks for North Campus’ newest building are complete and construction of the 4-storey A1 Building will soon begin along with the complete refurbishment of AF Building
- Once complete, A1 will create a social ‘heart’ for the North Campus as well as bringing greater connectivity around the campus. It will include a new café, more teaching and postgraduate space as well as more student space.