We’re ranked among the top art and design schools in the world, making AUT the best place to develop the skills and mind-set you need to sharpen your creative voice.
Our art and design programmes offer a balance of originality, creativity, design thinking and conceptual development. You’ll study in an innovative environment where shared spaces and advanced labs will fuel your creativity.
Undergraduate study in art and design will give you a solid grounding in your chosen area.
- Bachelor of Design
- Bachelor of Visual Arts
Portfolio guidelines: applying to study art and design [PDF, 6.3 MB]
Postgraduate study in art and design will build on your knowledge and expertise in your area of interest.
- Master of Design
- Master of Visual Arts
- Master of Philosophy
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
Certificates and diplomas
A certificate or diploma will give you an introduction to your chosen subject and can prepare you for further study.
- Certificate in Science and Technology
A short course will develop your skills and knowledge in an area of personal or professional interest.
- Short courses and workshops at the Textile + Design Lab
Master of Design
The Master of Design is a research degree aimed at developing your design expertise and empowering your decision-making.
Specialising in industrial design, fashion design and textile design, communication design, digital design or spatial design, you will work on interdisciplinary projects. Implementing creative research strategies, and continuing to develop expertise in your chosen field, you will contribute to a vibrant, collaborative design culture.
Through this degree you will advance your creative research skills, become ethically responsible and socially aware, and develop an understanding of the implications of working across cultural, social, and industrial contexts.
Minimum entry requirements
- Bachelor of Design or equivalent with a B grade average or higher in the papers at level 7 or above
- Applicants may be required to submit a portfolio of work and attend a selection interview
English language requirements
- IELTS (Academic) 6.5 overall with all bands 6.0 or higher; or equivalent
Download application documents
- Application Guide [PDF, 241.4 KB]
- Research Proposal Outline Guide [PDF, 234.1 KB]
- Research Proposal Outline Template
Art & Design Central
WE Building, City Campus
St Paul Street
Download map [PDF, 1.0 MB]