Legon Hall of University of Ghana
Legon Hall was the first to be built on the permanent site of the University of Ghana at Legon and is, therefore, the Premier Hall of the University. Its foundation tablet was
laid during the Michaelmas Term of 1951 and, in September 1952, the first undergraduates were accepted into residence. On Trinity Sunday, 31st May 1953, the first service was held in the Chapel and the first meal served in the Dining Hall.
From these events, the Hall took Trinity Sunday every year as its birthday, celebrated by a common “Feast” for both its Junior and Senior Members. The Hall’s motto Cui Datum (“To whom much is given…”) was selected from St. Luke’s Gospel, in recognition of the special responsibility attached to the Hall’s seniority. Senior Members of the University may be assigned as Fellows of the Hall by the Vice Chancellor and they usually keep their Fellowship for as long as they remain with the University.
Persons of academic distinction outside the University may be elected as Honorary Fellows at a General Meeting of Fellows. The rest of the membership of the Hall is made up of persons in statu pupillari. The governing body of the Hall is the Hall Council, members of which are Fellows of the Hall. The principal Hall Officers are: The Master, the Vice-Master, the President of the Senior Common Room, the Senior Tutor, and the Hall Bursar. The Hall was converted into a mixed Hall of Residence in October, 1991.
The men in this hall are normally referred to as the “Gentlemen of the University”.
Students in the main hall normally put three in a room with the senior level student occupying the inner room alone making it two students on the outer and one student is the inner room. The washroom in this hall is mostly shared by about six to ten rooms on every floor.
However, the annexes have four students in one room and the washrooms on these floors are shared by all the rooms on the floor.