Southern Cross Benefits Limited

Southern Cross Travel Insurance (SCTI) began trading in 1982 and now has over 35 years’ experience as a specialist travel insurer. The company is part of the Southern Cross Group and is 100% New Zealand owned, but operates as a separate legal entity to the Southern Cross Medical Care Society with its own dedicated Board of Directors.

As one of New Zealand’s most respected and knowledgeable travel insurers, we have a loyal customer base that values the comprehensive insurance products we provide.

Southern Cross Benefits Limited plans

  • Holiday
  • Cruise
  • Working Overseas
  • International Student
  • Visiting New Zealand


We’ve seen a lot of the problems that could go wrong on your trip, from lost luggage to medical emergencies. We don’t want to scare you off from exploring the world, we just want you to return home safely with all your stuff. That’s why our TravelCare policy provides cover for unexpected events.

Why choose us?
  • You can buy travel insurance and submit a claim online – because we like to make things easier for you.
  • You can get better value for less, because you don’t have to pay commission to a travel agent or insurance broker.
  • You deal with us directly, even at claim time, because we underwrite our own policies. So you’ll never have to chase a company you don’t know and have never dealt with before, to follow up on your claim.
  • You get access to our emergency assistance team, ready to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, no matter where you are in the world.
  • You get peace of mind with our comprehensive cover, so you can relax knowing you and your family are covered for the unexpected.

Cover for cruise holidays

Whether you’re looking for an island getaway or an Arctic adventure, there’s nothing better than exploring exciting destinations whilst aboard the comfort and luxury of a cruise ship.

But like any type of travel, it may not always be smooth sailing. From sea sickness to missed departures, cruise holidays can come with their own unique risks. Our award winning travel insurance allows you to embark on your adventure with peace of mind, knowing we’ll be here to help if the unexpected happens.

Travel insurance cover for cruise holidays

 Our TravelCare policy will automatically cover you if:

  • You’re travelling as a fare-paying passenger aboard a cruise ship
  • The cruise ship is run by a licensed company or is a tour operator
  • The cruise is travelling through international waters

This policy doesn’t offer cover if you’re travelling on a domestic-only cruise.

However, you’ll still be covered if your cruise travels within New Zealand waters when you leave or return from your trip.

What destinations am I covered for?

Cruises often include a number of destinations on their itinerary, so it’s important that you select all of these destinations when you’re getting a quote. The destinations on your cruise ship include:

  • Where you get on
  • Each place you visit
  • Where you get off

Remember, if you’re visiting any other destinations outside of your cruise trip, you’ll also need to add these when getting a quote.

When you’re applying for a policy online, New Zealand will not appear as an option to add to the list of countries, but don’t worry! You’ll automatically be covered if you’re leaving or returning to a New Zealand port.

Medical care in New Zealand

If you fall ill while the cruise ship is in New Zealand waters, you’ll need to get treatment through the public health system, or other third parties like your health insurer. You can then make a claim under your TravelCare policy for any costs that aren’t covered by these providers.

If you fall ill when you’re in New Zealand but on dry land (for example, if you’re on a day trip), you can only make a claim through the public health system or a third party insurer.

If you have any questions about our TravelCare policy, we’d love to help. Give us a call on 0800 800 571. Our team are available Monday – Friday, 8.30am – 7.00pm.

What you need to know

This page provides a summary of the key terms only. As with all insurance policies, terms and conditions apply. For our terms and conditions (including information about exclusions, excesses and sub limits) we recommend you read the travel insurance Policy Document.

Cover while working overseas

Working overseas can be one of the most enriching experiences of your life. It’s a great way to understand different cultures, learn new skills and discover all the world has to offer. But when it comes to travelling, there’s always room for the unexpected to happen, so it’s important to protect yourself with comprehensive travel insurance. 

Our Working Overseas travel insurance policy is designed to protect you while you’re abroad, so you can enjoy yourself, knowing that you have someone to turn to if things go wrong.

Is the Working Overseas policy right for me?

Our Working Overseas travel insurance policy automatically covers office-based work and some types of manual work. It may be suitable for you if you:

  • are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
  • are aged 69 years or under
  • intend to live and work overseas for two years or less

This policy is available to you whether you have a return or one-way ticket. You can buy cover from one month to 12 months, and don’t have to be working while you’re overseas to purchase this policy.

For full details, please refer to the Policy Document, and if you’re unsure about the type of work you’re planning to do overseas, we would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

How can I apply for a policy?

We can arrange your Working Overseas policy for you over the phone. Simply get in touch with our team of experts who can answer any questions and set up your policy hassle-free.

Call us now for a free quote: 0800 800 571

Common questions
1. What if I already have a Southern Cross Health Society policy?

If you have a Southern Cross Health Insurance policy, you may be able to arrange to put it ‘on hold’ while you’re overseas. This means you won’t have to pay for two insurance policies at the same time, so you’ll have some extra spending money back in your pocket! Please refer to the Southern Cross Health Insurance website for more information. 

2. How many Working Overseas policies can I purchase?

Once you have received 60 months cover (in total) under our Working Overseas policies, you can only buy a new policy if you:

  • Will be living in New Zealand for a total of 6 months out of the next 12 months
  • Meet our other eligibility criteria
3. Can I get cover for longer than 12 months?

If you’re going to Canada, the UK or the USA on a working holiday visa, you can buy cover for up to 24 months. You’ll need to give us a call on 0800 800 571 to arrange this.

4. Can I get cover if I’m already overseas?

It’s best to apply for a Working Overseas travel insurance policy before you leave New Zealand, but if you’re already abroad it’s not too late. If you’re overseas when you purchase the policy, a 72 hour stand down applies. This means that any unexpected events which occur in the first 72 hours after your insurance start date, will not be covered for the duration of your policy. However, you would be eligible for cover for any unexpected events that occur after 72 hours of you buying the policy.

5. What if I decide to stay overseas for longer than I intended?

We know things can change quickly and you may need to stay overseas longer. If this is the case, you can purchase a new policy as long as you meet our eligibility criteria. However, the same 72 hour stand down  applies and you won’t be covered on your new policy for any unexpected events that occurred under your previous policy.

6. What if I come back to New Zealand to visit?

Want to return home to visit family and friends before heading back overseas to work? No problem! Our Working Overseas travel insurance includes cover for temporary trips back to New Zealand, for up to 30 days, per journey. This cover will only apply if you hold a return ticket back to your main destination overseas.

What we’re unable to cover

The Working Overseas policy is designed to cover you for manual, non-hazardous work, so there are some professions we cannot offer cover for.

We do not cover professional sports, working as an aircraft crew member or hazardous work. We consider hazardous work to be any work or occupation (paid, unpaid or voluntary), where you are exposed to an increased risk of physical danger, harm or any adverse health effects as a result of your duties and/or the location of your work.

Below are some examples of hazardous occupations, activities and locations:

  • Activities involving heights above two metres 
  • Working underground or underwater
  • Working more than 22.2km offshore 
  • Working with wild animals, including in zoos, safari parks, game reserves and sanctuaries
  • Working in remote areas (an area with limited or no telecommunications or medical services)
  • Working on construction sites
  • Operating heavy machinery
  • Working with, or around hazardous chemicals and/or materials
  • Working with firearms, explosives or weaponry of any kind
  • Activities involving forestry
  • Activities involving demolition
  • Working as a member of the armed forces, or fire, police and ambulance services
Worldwide emergency assistance

All policies come with worldwide emergency assistance, giving you access to one of the world’s largest network of emergency medical resources, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Take the next step towards your overseas experience and get a Working Overseas travel insurance quote today: 0800 800 571.

What you need to know

This page provides a summary of the key terms only. As with all insurance policies, terms and conditions apply. For our terms and conditions (including information about exclusions, excesses and sub limits) we recommend you read the travel insurance Policy Document.

Cover while studying

With stunning scenery, welcoming people and world-class educational opportunities, New Zealand is a great place to study overseas. But when it comes to travelling, there’s always room for the unexpected to happen.

That’s why it’s so important to protect yourself with quality international student travel insurance, which will give you the peace of mind to enjoy your time here with confidence. In fact, all international students are required to have medical and travel insurance to qualify for a New Zealand international student visa.

Our International Student travel insurance is designed to protect you while you’re living and studying in New Zealand. Whether it’s a stolen laptop, a broken bone or a bout of the flu, this comprehensive cover is tailor-made to give you the freedom to travel with certainty and focus on what matters.

Do students need insurance while studying?

Yes! To qualify for a New Zealand international student visa, it’s required that you have quality insurance that complies with the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students and is accepted by your educational institute.

This might sound confusing, but don’t worry; our International Student travel insurance is designed to meet these requirements and provide you with top-quality protection during your stay. 

Students have been choosing our international student travel insurance for 25 years, and we’ve worked hard to ensure it meets and exceeds your expectations. We offer an Individual or Family policy:

Individual: International student travel insurance designed for one person

Family: International student travel insurance designed for:

  • one person and any dependent children; or
  • one person, their spouse and any dependent children 
Why choose us?

So why choose to protect yourself with Southern Cross Travel Insurance (SCTI) while you study in New Zealand? At SCTI, we’ve been offering great value International Student travel insurance for 25 years, but this is only part of the story. Here are six more reasons why we’re a great choice:

1. We’re based in New Zealand

Who better to protect you on your visit to New Zealand than one of the country’s leading travel insurers?

2. We offer 24/7 emergency assistance

We’re committed to offering 24/7 emergency assistance, so you know that we’re here to help when you need us.

3. We don’t charge excess on medical costs

We don’t deduct any excess on medical costs. Instead, we pay for 100% of eligible medical claims.

4. We cover you when you visit home

Want to return home to visit friends and family before continuing your studies in New Zealand? No problem! We’ll cover you while you visit your home country for up to 90 days.

5. We can provide cover for pre-existing medical conditions

Our policy can also include cover for a range of pre-existing medical conditions, so you can travel knowing you’re covered with comprehensive protection for your specific medical needs. Simply call us to complete a medical assessment over the phone, and if we can provide cover for your pre-existing medical conditions, we’ll add it to your policy at no extra cost.

6. We offer family cover

We also offer family cover, so you can add a spouse or child to your policy regardless of their visa status (so long as they’re not a permanent resident or citizen of New Zealand).

Need some help? 

If you would like to get in touch, we’re here to help. If you have any questions regarding our International Student travel insurance, you can:

Call us from New Zealand: 0800 784 691 
Call us from overseas: +64 9 9796597 
Email us: [email protected]

Take the next step towards your studies in New Zealand and get an online International Student travel insurance quote today.

What you need to know

This page provides a summary of the key terms only. As with all insurance policies, terms and conditions apply. For our terms and conditions (including information about exclusions, excesses and sub limits) we recommend you read the travel insurance Policy Document.

Southern Cross Benefits Limited Contact Details

Call from Overseas

Monday – Friday

8.30am – 7.00pm

+649 9796593

Call from New Zealand

Monday – Friday8.30am – 7.00pm

0800 800 571