Our foundation programmes offer the best preparation for bachelors degree study to international and other students whose first language is not English.
Foundation programmes are taught on behalf of the University by Taylors College and UP International College. Foundation study usually takes a year, although accelerated 8-month programmes are available to qualified students.
- University of Auckland – Foundation Studies Certificate (taught by Taylors College in Auckland)
- The University of Auckland – Certificate in Foundation Studies (taught by UP Education in Auckland)
Foundation programmes are designed to prepare students for University education, but also to develop skills in:
- Critical and independent thinking
- Computer use and research
- Essential subject knowledge, for example in accounting, calculus, chemistry, computer science, design, economics, English, geography, physics and statistics
After completing your programme, you can gain guaranteed entry into University of Auckland undergraduate degree programmes, if you meet the following requirements:
- The minimum overall foundation course average score for the relevant undergraduate degree programme
- English language proficiency at a level equivalent to the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) of at least 6.0 overall, with no band below 5.5. (Note that some programmes may require higher scores)
- Meeting any additional programme entry requirements such as interviews, auditions or portfolios
For detailed information on the requirements for admission into undergraduate degree programmes, see Entry requirements.
For more information, contact:
75 Karangahape Road
Phone: +64 9 306 2600
- University of Auckland – Foundation Studies Certificate (taught by Taylors College).Size: 393.7 kB.TYPE:PDF.Document Description:2020 flyer Download this PDFfile. SIZE:393.7 KB.
- UP Education – University of Auckland Certificate in Foundation Studies.Size: 1.9 MB.TYPE:PDF.Document Description:2020 Prospectus Download this PDFfile. SIZE:1.9 MB.
During the Foundation Studies Certificate programme, you will study English language and four elective subjects to prepare you for your undergraduate degree. Both the standard and intensive length programme offer the same subject options and you will study core and elective subjects. You will also develop important study skills and employability skills.
- English for Academic Purposes
You will choose four of the following elective subjects based on your progression degree at the University of Auckland.
- Classical Studies
- Information Technology
- Mathematics with Statistics
- Mathematics with Calculus
On completion of this programme, a Foundation Studies Certificate (Level 3) will be issued.
Progression to the University
You can progress to your undergraduate degree at the University of Auckland when you successfully complete your Foundation Studies Certificate programme and you meet the University’s entry requirements. You can also apply to other universities in New Zealand, Australia or across the world. Find out about other progression options.
- Standard length (2020)
- Intensive length (2020)