HBS Bank (also known as Hastings Building Society) operates as a division of the SBS Bank with branches serving the Hawke’s Bay region.
Originally founded way back when in 1885, the bank had its initial headquarters located in Hastings, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand. And it kept it there for the next 100 years.
Formerly known as The Hastings Permanent Building and Investment Society (HPBIS), the name was changed to Hastings Building Society Limited (HBS) in July of 1997. 13 years later on October 1, 2010, HBS members endorsed a deal to merge with and become a subsidiary of SBS Bank.
Members voted overwhelmingly in the favour of the merger, with 98% ticking the yes box. Under the approved merger, the 125-year old brand which HBS built up was to continue, all staff and management were to be kept on board, and $100,000 per year would be distributed to the community through various forms of sponsorship.
HBS Bank services
The bank currently operates as a part of SBS Bank, offering customers products and services, such as:
- Everyday banking
- Loans (including home loans, personal loans, car loans, commercial loans and agribusiness loans), provided by Finance Now Ltd.
- Insurance (including payment protection insurance, car insurance, home insurance, loan repayment insurance, life insurance and travel insurance), provided by Southsure Assurance Ltd.
- Professional Trust Management
- Internet banking
HBS Bank Contacts
Head office address
Corner Queen & Market Street
Hastings, Hawkes Bay
4122, New Zealand
HBS Bank, PO Box 10,
- Phone: +64 6 872 7299
Branches working hours
- Monday-Friday 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
- Tuesday: 9:30 am – 4:30 pm
HBS Bank Internet Banking
Easier, simpler, faster. Your internet banking experience is about to get a whole lot better.
Over the coming months, we will be making some exciting changes to your internet banking experience.
- Fast, simple and available whenever you need it, 24/7
- Safe and secure access with our Secure Key
- Move money with ease – transfer between your own accounts, pay bills, pay others within New Zealand and overseas
- Access your transactional history and eStatements
- Open accounts and term deposits online
- A single, unified view of all your international HSBC accounts with Global View
- Transfer funds between your international HSBC accounts in real time and free with Global Transfers
BANK OF NEW ZEALAND BIC / Swift code details
Sending or receiving money from abroad to BANK OF NEW ZEALAND in New Zealand? Find the right BIC / SWIFT code with our BANK OF NEW ZEALAND SWIFT code finder.
Please remember to always confirm the correct code with the bank or recipient before sending any money.