You can check the status of your income tax refund 24 hours after e-filing. Please allow 3 or 4 days after e-filing your tax returns. If you filed a paper return, please allow 4 weeks before checking your status.
What information is available?
You can start checking on the status of your refund within
- 24 hours after e-filing a tax year return
- 3 or 4 days after e-filing a tax year 2020 or 2021 return
- 4 weeks, after filing on paper
Where’s My Refund? will give you a personalized refund date after we process your return and approve your refund.
The tracker displays progress through three stages:
- Return Received
- Refund Approved
- Refund Sent
To use Where’s My Refund, you need to provide your Social Security number, filing status and the exact whole dollar amount of your expected refund.
- How to Download IRS2Go Mobile App
- How to Check Your IRS Tax Refund Status
- IRS Where is My Refund: Here is How to Get You IRS Refund
- What is IRS Tax Refund?
Prior Year Refund Information
Where’s My Refund? will display the refund status of the tax year you choose. If you need other return information, view your Online Account.
What you need to check your tax return:
- Your Social Security or Taxpayer ID number: You will need your social security number or your taxpayer number to be able to check your IRS Tax return status.
- Your filing status: Before you will be able to check your return, you should file your taxes at least 24hrs earlier or 4 weeks if it is paper filing.
- The exact refund amount on your return
What if my refund was lost, stolen, or destroyed?
Generally, you can file an online claim for a replacement check if it’s been more than 28 days from the date we mailed your refund. Where’s My Refund? will give you detailed information about filing a claim if this situation applies to you.